Can we expect improvements on hologram stability?

After developing a small demo app, and testing with 2 devices (Xperia Z5 and iPhone 6), I start to understand a bit more what kind of performances we can expect with the Aryzon cardboard.

Let’s say that my application goal is to show a part of my target image with an arrow and an explanation text. With the current state of the Aryzon SDK/cardboard, it’s very difficult to accurately make a 3D arrow point at a precise pint in the target image. The hologram (3D arrow) is not very stable in the 3D space, it depends on where we are looking the image target from (distance and angle).

Can we expect improvements on this side ? Or should we just consider we’ll never get much better than this and design our apps in consequence ?

I don’t expect that we can achieve something almost perfect as in an Hololens, but maybe we could have something a bit better with a couple of selected devices ? I have the feeling the Aryzon team is focused on making the experience OK on ALL devices, and I’m fine with this. But this cardboard, and despite the low entry ticket/price, will probably be used by companies first. Common people like you and me will probably want to test it, it’s fun for 5 minutes, but after that you never use it again. Exactly like the Hololens, despite this beeing an amazing 3000$ machine, you don’t use it everyday. But for companies, there’s lof of possible uses for this. And companies don’t really want the cardboard OK for all devices, they can afford to buy a couple of selected devices only for this goal.

So is there a plan to improve the cardboard performances/hologram stability on some devices only ? Maybe with another cardboard specifically designed for one device for example ? That would be still a lot cheaper than an Hololens, a very interesting alternatives for companies.

I like this idea. To get the holograms stable, the Aryzon SDK has calculations to go from the image on the phone, to the mirror, through the lens on the see-through display. Those calculations are what create the positioning of the hologram and can be very hard I imagine to get it right with different phone screen widths and those changing parameters in the advanced settings. It would be nice if there is, for example, an Android device and an Apple device that both have this working correct with the settings on 0 cm for all advanced settings (to me that would be the perfect placement). I would prefer that as well, because from that point, there is a device that works great and other device can be supported later on.

I think our support for the SDK has been lacking a bit since we’re still quite a small team with a lot of work on our hands. This changes as of today. Your proposal is what we want to do and have been doing for our own apps. In-house we have already done this for iOS devices. We have been playing with a prediction mode to get the holograms more stable and this seems to be working quite well, still every phone needs to have different prediction parameters. For best user experience we are setting up a server connection, so if a new phone comes to market you will not have to update your app, and fine tuning will be done with a marker image instead of the buttons in the advanced menu.

Glad to hear this. Can’t wait to test this new sdk.

Where you at the CES Las Vegas ? Did ou have a chance to test some to the AR devices there ?

The Lenovo Mirage AR looks like a similar techno as yours (except it needs a light ball to adjust its position in space, but is this necessary or can it play without it?), did you test it ?

The Real Max and the Vizix Blade looks also very promising, did you test them ?