AR 3d Model Viewer App Questions

Hello there!

I recently downloaded the AR 3d Model Viewer App on my iphone to view and present some selfmade fbx-models in AR. My first attempts with fbx files containing animations and textures failed to load properly in the app. The geometry was there, so were the animations, only the embedded textures havn’t been displayed properly only as a red-blackish colorramp without any detail. The problem obviously was the texture size of the imported file (4k). After reducing to 2048x2048px they imported proberly.
But I have some other questions regarding the AR 3d Model Viewer App and I hope, that Maarten has some answers/suggestions.

1. How large could the texturesize be? Is 2048x2048px the maximum? Are there any restrictions for texture file formats (jpeg/tga/tif)?

2. How could I integrate an alpha channel within a texture? I tried several hours to export my model plus the embedded textures with alpha in various formats (as tga, png and tif;all 2k size), but none of them were shown. Is it possible after all?

3. What kind of shader types could I import from Maya? I assume, that all shaders in the fbx-files are overwritten with a standard lambert or blinn-type shader.

4. Is it possible to import my own lights with the fbx-file? I assume,that there is only one default light source in the app, which causes some parts of the model to be too dark (=black). If it is not possible to import my own lightsources, could I adjust the default light in your app? Is there a workaround for the 3d objects being lit brighter?

5. When I use the Aryzon cardboard to view my 3d-model, there is a massive lag between my head movement and the movement of the object. Why is that? Do you plan to fix that in a future update?

That should be all for now. Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

Kind regards
Chris

Hi Aryzon
are there no development? or no answers to the questions?

Kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter, our main focus right now is on improving the model viewer. The iOS app already got quite a big update and now works with the new glTF standard: https://www.khronos.org/gltf/.

And Chris, sorry for not answering your questions right away. I shall answer them now:

It is quite hard to maintain support for many different file types, which causes many different types of issues, therefore we are really happy to see this new glTF standard and hope others will adopt the use of this as well.

Therefore, if the importer does not work for a specific filetype in your situation I suggest trying to convert or export it to this format, for example by uploading it to Sketchfab and downloading from there as glTF or through a converter. It has better support for alpha channels and uses more realistic shaders, according to the glTF standard.

1. Textures which are larger then 2048x2048 will be reduced to 2048x2048.

2. Alpha channels are supported with glTF, though not thoroughly tested

3. File types other then glTF get converted to a Standard Unity shader.

4. Importing lights is not supported. The headset can’t project black which means black is indeed not visible. Even with a brighter light some parts will remain black. I would suggest changing the material color to something a little brighter to make it better visible. With glTF emission textures are supported as well.

5. This really depends on the phone and how heavy the model is. Phones which support ARKit / ARCore should already run pretty smooth. We are working on a prediction model though this is more computing for the phone which is not ideal.